- What is Barakah?
Barakah is a surplus marketplace that connects businesses with excess food to consumers looking for affordable and delicious meals. We aim to reduce food waste and promote sustainability by providing an alternative outlet for businesses to sell surplus food, while offering consumers the opportunity to access affordable and delicious meals.
- How does Barakah work?
Consumers can use our platform, the Barakah App, to browse and purchase discounted meals from businesses in their area. Businesses can use the app to list their excess products for sale in real-time, or they can opt for the “Barakah Box” model, which is a mystery/Barakah box option that offers customers a higher discount and a unique, exciting experience.
- Why is reducing food waste important?
Food waste is a major global issue, with approximately one-third of all food produced in the world going to waste. This not only results in a significant loss of resources and financial value, but it also has significant environmental impacts, such as contributing to greenhouse gas emissions and deforestation. By reducing food waste, we can help to conserve resources, reduce costs, and protect the environment.
- How is Barakah different from other food delivery services?
While Barakah does offer delivery services, our primary focus is on reducing food waste and promoting sustainability. We offer discounted meals that would otherwise go to waste, and we also strive to minimize our environmental impact through initiatives such as our “value-delivery” service, which groups orders together and calibrates route optimization for each delivery window, and our efforts to explore options such as using electric or hybrid vehicles and eco-friendly packaging materials.
- Who is your target market and how do you plan to acquire customers?
Our target market is primarily consumers in the GCC who are looking for affordable and delicious meals, as well as businesses in the food service industry that have excess food to sell. We hae 3 main consumer profiles: The value-discerining, the socio-eviormental and the religious.
We plan to acquire customers through a combination of digital marketing efforts, collaborative awareness campaigns with large private/public sector stakeholders, as well as through partnerships with food service businesses and through media appearances and public relations efforts.
- Can you provide more information on your founding team and their relevant experience in this industry?
Our founding team consists of Abdulaziz Al-Saud and Rabah Habiss and Munira Al-Muammar.
- Abdulaziz is the CEO of Barakah and has a strong background in entrepreneurship and sustainability, specifically in the areas of renewable energy. Prior to co-founding Barakah, Abdulaziz founded and served as CEO of Alriyadah Investments, a closed real-estate and energy development fund. He also founded a successful renewable energy project development company, Arabian Power.
- Rabah Habiss, our CPTO, has a successful track record in commercial product development. Prior to joining the team at Barakah, Rabah served as the Technical Lead at Bupa Arabia, where he established an in-house development team and led the development and delivery of Bupa’s mobile app, which caters to over two million active users today. Together, Abdulaziz and Rabah bring a wealth of experience and expertise to the table and are dedicated to driving the success of Barakah.
- Munira AlMuammar, our CMO, is a multi-versed professional and entrepreneur with a wealth of experience in operations, product management & digital transformation. She has worked in multiple industries from health insurance, digital transformation to entertainment, leading on strategic projects across the board. In recent years however, Munira AlMuammar established the record label at MDLBEAST and now leads operations and strategies for the WTR sub-label. Always looking to tackle new challenges, Munira is one of the driving forces in the MENA region’s surging digital transformation and electronic dance scene.
- How does your pricing model work and how does it compare to competitors?
Our pricing model is based on a commission structure, where we take a percentage of the sales made through our platform. We believe that this model aligns our interests with those of our users and allows us to offer a more affordable and transparent pricing structure. In terms of competition, we believe that our unique focus on surplus food and sustainability sets us apart from other food delivery platforms in the market.
- How do you plan to scale the business and what milestones have you achieved so far?
We have a number of exciting plans in place to scale the business in the coming years. Some of the milestones we have achieved so far include launching our value delivery and on-demand delivery features, introducing our merchant portal web app, being selected as a finalist in the Taqadam accelerator program, and gaining significant media recognition. In the near future, we plan to expand our operations to Riyadh and to introduce a number of new features and services, including groceries on our app, a meal reservation option, and a monthly meal subscription plan. We also plan to launch our donation feature in collaboration with local charities and foodbanks and to expand our reach to other cities in the region, such as Makkah, Dammam, Medina, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Kuwait. In the longer term, we are working on an AI-based tool to help groceries sort, assemble, and upload surplus boxes on our marketplace, which we believe will be a game-changer in terms of automation and efficiency. Overall, we are confident that with the right team in place and a strong focus on sustainability, we can become the leading surplus marketplace in the region and a key player in the MENA foodtech industry.